Tuesday, January 11, 2022

On Being Brave

 



I am at a crossroads. Again. Live long enough and you find you have a healthy collection of such moments.


I've always been able to quietly walk away from situations, individuals, or groups that I recognize as incompatible or with whom I feel I do not belong, particularly and especially because of my unconventional faith. 


Firstly, I question not staying on the chance that by remaining I might be a quiet example or plant a small seed. I think about how Christ was judged and vilified for what the self-righteous who deemed as consorting with sinners. But He didn't break bread with the social outcasts to be one of them. His goal was to minister to them to give them an option to choose a higher state of being. Such a commitment requires a certain amount of leadership though.


Acknowledging that, I sink as I own up to my abysmal history of being heard. I am not a leader, persuader or, in the new vernacular, an influencer, nor have I ever had debate skills. If what I believe is akin to a tiny tinkling bell that gets easily overwhelmed by the noise, I lean towards doing as Christ told His disciples, when you enter a town that refuses to hear, turn and shake the dust off your feet and walk away. I have found sometimes that is the best choice. For me, anyway. In some cases I've had to flee to the safety of loving some people from a distance.


There seems to be a very fine line to discern when choosing when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.


Thus my current conundrum is: 


It is clear for me that open war has been declared against all and everything that Christianity stands for, so do I speak up, stand and defend, even if I know I will be smacked down and dismissed with a currently popular derogatory label? Or do I just walk away? I certainly have done so on multiple occasions, albeit leaving with no grudge or resentment but instead offering a silent prayer that eyes and hearts will be opened. I usually concede that if my voice was not the one that could be heard that the one whose voice would be should be. 


Or... when I start to overthink I wonder if am I just being a coward? Will I be held accountable for not defending Christ regardless the hot spot it puts me in?


Perhaps that is the biggest question for me at this stage of our current societal decline - determining when to speak and when to remain silent. 


War on Christianity is not new and has most certainly been ongoing for more than 2000 years and many brave, outspoken Christians have died for standing up. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, for example, a Lutheran minister, for his stand against Hitler, was imprisoned for several years and then hanged just days before the Allies took down the Third Reich and freed the prisoners in the concentration death camps in Germany. 


But, of late, in this new era of anything-goes-lawlessness, it seems all the stops have been pulled unlike ever before. Anything and everything that is deemed as being based on Christian life standards have now not only been abandoned, these long proven boundaries are now declared to be anti-social on a global scale and are being summarily outlawed. 


How long before we reach the place where speaking in defense of Christian values will land one in prison? Wait. It's already happening actually. All over the world. Canada. Australia. Perhaps you were unaware that in the UK, street preachers are often arrested for daring to speak out against homosexuality? It's referred to as the crime of committing  'hate speech'.  And, of course, the definition of hate speech is conveniently left fluid and can be reinterpreted to suit the current cultural trends. 


When the day comes that a word or phrase can be designated as a weapon to silence God's people, when/how do we, who continue to hold to God's standards, react? Do we stand and fight, even to death? Or do we fall back and keep our heads down hoping we can survive until normal is restored - by someone else? 


Or do we work under the radar? Do you know how many Christians were rescued covertly from Afghanistan, at great risk, by privately funded groups, after the current administration abandoned them to assured death? Thousands. This is recent history, by the way, not some side note from a long ago war recorded in a short paragraph in a history book. 


Perhaps the answer I seek isn't either/or but rather, if you trust the still small voice and strain to listen for the tinkling bell, you will know what to do when the time comes. And then choose to do it bravely, even if you find yourself on the receiving end of a noose or firing squad. 


As Dietrich Bonhoeffer said just before he was hanged, 

"This is the end - for me the beginning of life."


For Him,

Meema


Recommended Reading:


Dietrich Bonhoeffer


5100 Christians Rescued

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for doing this. You remind me of my wife. My tendency as of late has been to stick my neck out regardless of cost. Covid rules forced me out of a job and much of society that I participated in. I have essentially lost the base of my friends and family in recent months for standing up against the narrative. These may be temporary or permanent losses. I prefer to live by my deepest held beliefs than to be concerned about my standing within these audiences.
    Tough days for us all....much tougher ones ahead. This is the testing ground for what lies ahead. How we position ourselves now will have a huge impact on how we react when the real feces hits the fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry you have had to be separated out. If it is any consolation, you are certainly not alone in this paradigm. I am compelled to recall Scripture that speaks of the time when the goats and sheep, the wheat and the tares, are identified and separated. That doesn't make it any less painful, especially when you find yourself at odds with close relatives and friends. Nevertheless, I have chosen the hill upon which I choose to die. I simply cannot go along to get along. If I am deemed a lunatic or pariah, so be it. I know to Whom I owe my allegience. When the day comes for being held accountable I hope I can stand and say, as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Eternity is a long time. Be strong!

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Sis. I struggle with the same issues. But time is short, this age about to end. We need to fearlessly speak out for Christ, hoping to "pull some out of the fire" (Jude 23).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! It is my opinion that there is no downside to choosing to be an outlier among the Remnant over being acceptable to the braindead crowd. I have never needed affirmation from the world, which is destined to conclude, but I sure want acceptance from Christ who reigns over that which is forever. Historically speaking those who choose the narrow way, get a lot of push back from the crowd. I can't care what the crowd thinks though. :-)

      Delete
  3. Yes. To speak or not to speak. That is the question. Similar to what you expressed, I am often ruffling feathers because I can not be aligned with what is popular. These Scriptures are my "go to" plumb line:

    Proverbs 29:1 – He who is often reproved, yet stiffens his neck, will suddenly be broken beyond healing.
    Jeremiah 7:27 – So you shall speak all these words to them, but they will not listen to you. You shall call to them, but they will not answer you.
    Ezekiel 2:7 – And you shall speak my words to them, whether they hear or refuse to hear, for they are a rebellious house.
    2 Timothy 4:3-5 – For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

    As far as being held accountable...no one knows for certain what happens when we leave this earth. I look at it this way: If I sincerely love Most High God with the entirety of my being, can I dishonor Him or disrespect Him in any way? Jesus warned us that the world will hate us because it hates Him. Like you, I would rather be hated by the world than to not choose Jesus! People will not be aware of my choice if I am silent in word and deed. Often that is much easier said than done - but I will not reach my goal if I do not choose to walk in that narrow way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good stuff there!
      Someone passed on this blog link to me this morning - wow! You will find some good reading in there - http://www.asinglewindow.com/blog

      Delete