Sunday, August 18, 2013

Path That Leads To Truth


(Psalms 25:4) Show me thy ways, O Jehovah; Teach me thy paths.  (25:5) Guide me in thy truth, and teach me; For thou art the God of my salvation; For thee do I wait all the day.  

There’s something about a rainy day that makes me want to clean something. Closets, cabinets and shelves require a certain amount of physical effort so I opted for cleaning out computer files. I opened a file titled “thinker” with not a clue what might be inside and I found dozens of snippets of quotes from those I consider to have great minds. I’ve mentioned before that I have always loved quotes. They often speak big truth in the smallest number of words. 

Lately, I’ve been hyper-focused on truth and my fear that there is a possibility a day is coming that God might remove truth from those who refuse to see, so I offer the following quote from A.W. Tozer which seems to say better than anything I could compose:
The world is full of seekers, true enough, and they gravitate quite naturally toward the church. Seekers after peace of mind are plentiful enough to keep the printing presses busy; seekers after physical health are always with us in sufficient numbers to make our leading faith healers comfortably rich; seekers after success and safety are legion, as our popular religious leaders know too well. But real seekers after truth are almost as rare as albino deer. And here is why: Truth is a glorious but hard master. It makes moral demands upon us. It claims the sovereign right to control us, to strip us, even to slay us as it chooses. 
Truth will never stoop to be a servant but requires that all men serve it. It never flatters men and never compromises with them. It demands all or nothing and refuses to be used or patronized. It will be all in all or it will withdraw into silence. It was Christ who capitalized truth and revealed that it was not an it at all but a Being with all the attributes of personality. I am the Truth, He said, and followed truth straight to the cross. The truth seeker must follow Him there; and that is the reason few men seek truth.
The truth in the Person of the Logos, the Word, is seeking to illuminate the minds of men. That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. For this reason, when we conceive ourselves to be honest seekers who cannot find the light we are in a state of dangerous self-deception. It is a grave situation. Unless help comes quickly the darkness may close down upon us permanently. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness. Behind all our failure to find light is an unconfessed and possibly an unconscious love of darkness. 
We should always remember that we are accountable not only for the light we have but also for the light we might have if we were willing to obey it. Truth is sovereign and will not allow itself to be trifled with. And it is easy to find for it is trying to find us. Obedience is the big problem: and unwillingness to obey is the cause of continued darkness.
For Christ,
Meema
This is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God. (John 3:19-21)

No comments:

Post a Comment