Monday, August 11, 2014

Create

(Philippians 4:8) Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honorable, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.


All things to do with creativity, especially music, has always been inspirational to me. I have dabbled in nearly every art form at one time or another. Learning to play guitar was a source of great joy for me before Arthur Itis came to visit and took up residence in my hands. I’ve never been attracted to rock and roll, though, not even as a teen (when rock and roll was invented), so I am equally not attracted to the more raucous Christian music which, to me, is merely rock and roll with Christian lyrics. But I have always walked a solitary path and have never expected that anyone else like or see things the same way I do–and, not surprisingly I rarely find any who do.

I have often thought of God as not just the Great Creator but the original author of creativity. Just look around at the naturally created wonders we live among. Humans are beautifully, mysteriously made, as well, each with commonalities and individual differences, each of us like one-of-a-kind art. God imagined His Creation and then spoke it into being. Even the laws of science are His creation. For every action there is reaction, for every positive there is negative; God designed it thus for His own good purpose. 


Paint on canvas can represent uplifting images or the basest of humankind’s dark side. Film or pixels capture and reproduce photos and movies representing either good or evil. Words can be combined on paper or spoken that either lift us up or debase us, that inspire us to strive to be better, to learn and grow, or seduce us into self-destructive bondage. 

And so it is with all mediums but especially musical notes because music is able to tap into our deepest wells of being.

I am intuitively aware, however, at how easy it is for Satan to use our natural attraction to and desire to create things against us because the downside to creativity is that its underlying OS is passion, which is the most unstable, least reliable human emotion, and therefore our weakest point of entry.

But it isn’t the tool or the software that keeps God’s children at odds with His perfect will but how we choose to use unbridled passion for self expression. God made us in His image, including the propensity for innovation and creativity and He gave us free will to employ it productively or destructively. How we choose seems to be dependent on our spiritual maturity. There seems to be a place inside our unconscious human experience that is somewhat bent toward addictions, like children craving candy. In these shadows is where obsessions and idolatry lurk, waiting for any opportunity to leap out and take control. Only maturing in the spirit can recognize and thus muster the strength necessary to overcome this inherent weakness and therefore subdue, refine and master passion in order to create those things we were admonished to fill our thoughts with. 

We are unique combinations of strengths and weaknesses but we resist understanding and accepting this real condition because we continue to expect that God has issued a one-size-fits-all manual to sanctification.  This failure to allow for God’s infinite creative variety is why we strain to co-exist, and why we struggle and fail to devise the perfect vehicle of religion that will accommodate us all on our journey to God. 

For Him,
Meema


Psalm 139:14 I will give thanks unto thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: Wonderful are thy works; And that my soul knoweth right well.

6 comments:

  1. Read your response to Michael Boldea's post on the law and holiness. A truth I've been pondering is this: there are 2 choices, in Christ or not in Christ. Period. Not so much saved vs unsaved nor good vs evil. We are in Christ Jesus and He in us or we are not. If we are in Him and He in us we "transcend" the law to become true Kingdom members. To be in His Kingdom takes us way beyond the laws for here on earth. This may sound good, and righteous, and holy, but I as ponder this more and more it boggles my mind just how deep and wide and all inclusive it is. EVERYTHING about us is Jesus (He must increase we must decrease). So it is not acting 'good' it is acting how Jesus - in you - chooses to act in all situations.

    DebbieAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Interesting timing. I was posting my response in a new post as you were posting this comment to this post. Honestly, I think we are well into the stage of needing to let go of our myopic perceptions about Who God really is. We are so arrogant, we think we can define Him in accordance with our little minds.

      Thanks for responding. I really often wonder if anyone ever reads this blog. If not, then why do I write it? Am I a voice in the wilderness or am I out of line and not in His will?

      For Him,
      Meema

      Delete
    2. Your site is in my favorites and I check it frequently. God often uses our voice (or BlogSpot!) to get His Word out . . . and His Word is never unfruitful. It is His timing that usually throws us :)

      DebbieAnn

      Delete
    3. I have only ever wanted to be sure I am speaking correctly. I committed to continue for the sake of a few or even one so long as I was not leading astray. Someone told me I should add tags and other manipulations to raise the rank and visibility. I don’t care. I don’t do this for the world to see. I do this for Him to use in whatever way He deems worthy. The world can’t understand His ways or His timing. He always prefers to do the most with the least and never in the timeframe or way we think is right. I’d probably start worrying if suddenly I had a huge following. :-)

      When that deep and inexplicable flush of joy bursts inside of you, no matter what is happening around you, know it is our sweet Lord smiling because of you.

      For Him,
      Meema

      Delete
    4. Listened to a Derek Prince recording the other day in which he shared a story - here is a very brief recap: Person A told something to Person B. Some time later Person B happened to tell Mrs. Prince. Mrs. Prince then told Mr. Prince. Now I was listening to Derek Prince tell everyone in world that listened to that show what Person A had said. Derek chuckled, pointing out how God can get something aired on a world-wide ministry when He wants to. Person A will never know how the revelation God gave him encouraged someone across the globe years later to accept salvation. But that reward will be waiting for him. Made me think of you . . . your words may not appear to be going places but some day you will be surprised.

      Delete
    5. Truly I marvel at the way God’s ways are nothing like man’s. On a daily basis I find myself in wide eyed astonishment upon recognizing a solution that God has provided. Try as I might to help Him with problems, He always manages to trump me with a better idea. Every. Time.

      Of late I have found that words spoken and then recorded decades ago by God’s own men, who are now with Him, have more power and purpose than the worthless dribble printed and circulated by the icons of modern Christianity. Imagine that. God is still speaking through His faithful anointed long after they have stopped speaking.

      Again, amazing! What an awesome, mighty God we serve!

      For Him,
      Meema

      Delete