Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Missed Opportunities


You know, there is so much suffering going on right now, even if I dared to have a light moment I’d feel guilty for it. 

Yesterday I took my husband’s company car to have the oil changed. The guy who took the car, said, as he slid into the driver’s seat, “I learned today I have no neck, my vertebrae are all messed up.” It was such an odd moment for me. I’m not usually the one folks tell their stories to. That’s always been my younger daughter’s mantle. 

So, I asked him why and he said that he used to be a professional boxer and it messed him up. He didn’t seem to be looking for sympathy, I can usually spot that kind of thing. He just wanted to tell me. I asked him what he was going to do. He said they want to do surgery but he didn’t want to. I said I knew someone who had to have the vertebrae in his neck fused. Then he told me his 13 year old daughter had a 54% curvature in her spine and had to have two rods put in her back. 

It hit me how easy it is to feel oppressed and discouraged by our own circumstances. No matter how bad things might be for us, someone else’s problems can be worse. Gives one an opportunity to say, “there but for the grace of God go I.” 

The other (greater) opportunity in the moment was to tell the man I would pray for his circumstances. But I didn't say it. Though I am praying for him, I didn't tell him and I regret that missed chance. My only excuse is my hermit habit. I have always been overly reserved about speaking to strangers about my faith. I can write about it but I'm not good at talking about it unless the other person indicates they are going to know what I am talking about. 

I guess I need to work on that.

While I was typing this, a brilliant sunrise filled the sky with pink and golden clouds. No matter how tough things are, He gives us a new day to fight the fight before us. To recognize and step up to other opportunities. God is so good. I am grateful.

Now I'm writing about it to make up for yesterday’s missed opportunity.

For Him,

Meema

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that, it seems to be the message I've been hearing several times over the last couple of weeks. Looks like we are in the same boat. God is so good. Much love and hugs to you Sis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear! I’ve had some really good feed back on this one - mostly in emails. I love it when the Body seems to be plugged into the message. It happens so often to me that I’ll feel as though there’s a word for me and then it comes in a variety of ways, from devotionals from the men of God who are long gone to be with Him and blogs and comments. It’s encouraging to know that we can truly count on receiving because we are ready and open to receive. :-}

      Delete