Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Smart vs Wise

 


In 2006, one year and several titles completed in my then newest venture of being a POD publisher, I accepted an invitation to exhibit at a Christian Book Fair. I had no idea what to expect, except I admit I optimistically thought I would sell books. Experience being the best of teachers I learned it was more about networking with other publishers and distributors than selling. 


Took me quite awhile to recover the investment but, just as has often been the case in my peculiar and singular spiritual walk, the cost was irrelevant measured against the outstanding moment and revelation that likely would not have happened had I not attended. It has remained with me long past the existence of Faithful Publishing. 


On the second day in, I was standing in front of my booth, observing how others were so easily engaging passers by and attendants as I, not being skilled in salesmanship, seemed to be invisible. An older woman ambled by. We smiled and nodded at each other. She stopped and picked up a book on display and we began a light conversation. I don't recall all that we said to each other except for one thing that changed forever how I seek wisdom.


I do recall we were talking about good life quotes and how they seem to be seeds that, when planted and nurtured, grow healthy attitudes and goals. I think she had noticed a quote on a page of one of the books. 


I do not deny that I love quotes and always have. I recognize smart words that inspire one to rise to higher thinking and thus purposeful living. Until then I didn't care where they came from. Good words are good words, right? 


And then she said the simplest yet one of the most profound comments I have ever heard. 


"I do love good sounding quotes but I do also pay attention to who says them. Wisdom is not the same as being smart. You can be smart and educated and hold endowed titles out the wazoo and not be the least bit wise, especially spiritually. So, I try to get my good words from the teachings of the One I choose to believe is the ultimate Wise person, Jesus."


So, that was like a direct hit to my chest. From that point forward, I could see with new eyes. It's pretty easy to recognize a truth, even if you are blind in other ways, but now when I seek, I'm discerning between what is just smart or wise. I am not questing from a worldly perspective. When I read the quotes of old philosophers and modern men and women who have been elevated to a type of sainthood, because they were smart enough to see a bigger reality, I grant them that they are smart. I also acknowledge that no one owns truth but the Originator. It exists to be seen by anyone who wishes to know. Some very not so wise people have had their names attached to quotes that seem quite true but when you look deeper into their lives you wonder why they didn't live like they spoke.


Now, when I am in search of wisdom, those ideals and concepts that require deeper understanding than the human mind can grasp, I am more inclined to pay attention to those who see with a different kind of vision. I pay attention to the fruit of their lives. Are they speaking worldly truth that is currently smart or Godly truth that is eternally wise? If I had to point to examples I'd start with career politicians and celebrities or 'Christian' leaders who are nothing more than smart humanists.


Risking presenting a POV that can be taken wrongly, I will add that it is my personal experience that it is not possible to understand God with human intellect, great learning and smarts, and/or a litany of credentials. And most certainly not with science. The only way to understand the life changing power of faith is via a hungry open spirit that grasps, without over thinking, that not only is there a God but that He is in charge and in no way thwarted by evil. You can't get there with reason though. It is something else that takes one beyond being smart to being wise. 


What I know, have lived personally, and witnessed happening in others, is profound clarity that cannot be explained with words, once the spirit can see what the eyes cannot. The key that unlocks this conundrum is a willingness to let go of the importance of self. All the good words, the inspirational quotes and uplifting concepts in the universe are useless, not because they are not smart but because they do not get to the root of the plant where the life begins.


I learned from a stranger that when seeking good words to inspire and live by, there are two ways to go - one is a path that requires commitment to a higher truth that is seated in perpetual wisdom. The other is a compromise with that which is earthbound and only smart until a new thought replaces it.


For Him,

Meema





7 comments:

  1. Wow, you really make me think—love that about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot tell you how much I look forward to your postings.
    I eagerly look forward to each new one. You have found your calling April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! too little too late - I used to write to find out what I think but now I write because it's a good excuse to sit down a lot. LOL! How are you guys doing?

      Delete
  3. WE have relocated to Stuart, FL where for the most part freedom prevails. Theres a strong sense of normalcy here. Hated leaving Williamsburg but could no longer tolerate the oppression and suppression. Very very liberal town. Just the opposite here. All ok with you two & the family?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far Georgia is hanging in - though inside the Perimeter is pretty blue, which is turning us purple, if you get my drift. Hoping we can keep holding our own. My tribe is aging out, along with us. LOL! Rachel is turning 55 in a week, which is difficult for me to wrap my brain around. If you would like to see a video that pretty much shows all of us - even though this was 5 years ago. Time flies.

      https://faithfulpublishing.vids.io/videos/7c9ddcb11a13eec0f4/rachel50th-mp4

      You should email me - meemafields@gmail.com I'd like to see pics of you guys.

      Delete