Thursday, August 12, 2021

So Much Change

 


I love it when other bloggers say things that I've been wrestling with because it helps me find my words. This morning I read Debbie Hudson's blog and the words came flying out of my head onto my keyboard. Whew!


Thanks Debbie!


When You Don't Want Things To Change 


-------------------------------------------------------------

Charles Dickens has been attributed as saying there is nothing constant in life except change. A simple, profound truth.


While some folks resist change with every fiber of their being, I am more inclined to embrace the new and unknown, especially if it portends to introduce a learning curve, regardless how tough. Certainly I don't mind change when it comes as relief from being held down in a rut or stagnation.


There are other kinds of change, though, that has to be dealt with. Not always easily. 


I have embraced and endured a plethora of kinds of change across my 74 year stint on this planet. Some think of their life experience as chapters in a book, I see my life as completely separate books - a four volume set.


Book One was my childhood with my original family. Book Two was all about my life creating a new family, raising three kids, quickly scribbling down and editing the good the bad and the ugly when there was a rare free moment. Book Three was my middle-aged adventure with grandkids and the rewriting of the meaning of tribal traditions. 


Book Four is now in the first draft stage. It began with me adjusting to all the things I used to do and slowly had to abandon because of the natural human aging process. Full disclosure, that took a couple of chapters of whining and complaining that had to be seriously edited for uncouth language.


I am now in the final stage of making peace with this unstoppable revision process, this inevitable rewriting of our once well-established tribal traditions of how we have gathered to celebrate, commiserate, live, love, laugh, and eat together.  I concede to all the change that being human demands that we have no choice but to make peace with because life must keep moving on and cannot stay the same. The new books being written can't be copies of old books.  They have to come from new experiences and fresh perspectives. 


So. Change. It happens. Ultimately we have a Chief Copy Editor we have to answer to. I hope that when my final paragraph is punctuated that it makes Him smile and maybe even say, "Well done, good and faithful servant."


For Him,

Meema 

1 comment: