Saturday, March 5, 2022

Adulting Lessons in Real Life

 




This past Thursday, my grandson Keaton and I attended the Thumbs Up luncheon in Gainesville, GA. 


Keaton's mom, my daughter Holly, introduced me to this charity, founded by parents of a teenager (named Keaton, btw) who fought the tough fight against a brain tumor. They focus on raising funds to support the individuals and families dealing with cancer, sponsoring family retreats and fund raisers since 2015. Thousands of people have found hope, encouragement and financial support through this organization. I was impressed by the turnout for the luncheon. 


It's always inspirational to see how others manage and rise above impossible odds. I added this event to Keaton's homeschool curriculum as part of his ongoing introduction to Real Life 101. I think he was genuinely impacted by the testimonies of the survivors who were featured as 'warriors' especially when they referred to 'Keaton' in the closing remarks and that his passing inspired the forming of the foundation. 


Thing is, even as some of the stories had good endings and some did not, listening to the outcomes, looking out over the crowd gathered to support the effort of helping others, I experienced a mixed bag of emotions. For one thing, watching a teenage girl walk onto the stage, listening to her tell of her battle with a rare cancer that left her with only one arm and her fierce determination that it would not stop her from not only surviving but also her goal of seeking a pHD in psychology, I wondered where mettle comes from. Is it taught? Is it genetic? 


I mentally considered the conundrum in the rise of suicides in young healthy kids the past two years because of social distancing/isolation compared to the kids desperately holding onto hope and will to live during months of painful treatment. Why do some people fight the odds to survive and others fold?


Maybe it comes down to support and encouragement? Regardless the instinctual will to survive, humans need to believe that they are worth saving - that they have a future with purpose. Humans need other humans offering hope.


These and other deep ponderings Keaton and I discussed on the way home. I always require discussion after an adulting lesson. 


Interesting aside, Holly woke up with a stomach thing and she couldn't go so Keaton was tasked with driving us. I think he felt a huge responsibility getting us there and back. He seemed more adult like. 


Adulting lessons in real life can speed up the maturing process me thinks. 


For Him.

Meema


No comments:

Post a Comment