Saturday, April 16, 2022

It is Finished

Sometimes I have to shut out the noise and be silent. So many things that could be said, so many things that matter and just as many that don't anymore and therefore don't need to be said.


But I felt that I should say something to acknowledge this holiest of times as I have done in this blog for ten years but what I want to say is mostly summed up with overwhelming gratitude that God would choose to give His only begotten Son up for the ultimate sacrifice for us. How do we fully grasp that?


So, I had to go back and find a couple things already posted and put them together.


Happy Resurrection Day,

He Is Risen

Love, 

Meema


-----------------------------------------------------------





When I try to imagine being one of those women on that horrific longest day - the ‘Sabbath’ after Christ was crucified - the agony of waiting in the paralyzing silence of defeat, I temporarily set aside knowing the rest of the story - the great good ending. I try to fully experience their grief and dismay, the crushing weight of unanswerable questions - the frustrating unknowable. 


I do this because I need to embrace, firsthand, the fear that they must have felt, the confusion, the despair. I still myself, eyes closed, and put myself there, sitting with them. No one able to speak, hopelessness settled in around them slowly sucking the oxygen out of the space. My heart feels like it’s being compressed by a vise. 


I can’t stay there too long or I’d become dysfunctional. I only need a glimpse of what they must have felt so I can confirm the old saying - it’s always darkest just before dawn - as a solid truth not just a good sounding platitude. 


Because I do know the rest of the story, I can also imagine the shockwave that must have shot through, head to toe, those faithful women who returned to the tomb to finish the job, to pay their respect and demonstrate their love for this man whom they had believed was the Son of God and were not prepared for, nor understood what had to happen.  


Have you ever been there? So immersed in fear and dread of the unknown, convinced you are done for, at the mercy of great evil, then in a flash you are rescued? One minute it’s nothing but darkness, the next minute all is light - exquisite relief.


I have. I’ve been there many times in my now officially long life. While it most certainly is darkest just before dawn, there is another truth - dawn does come - and always right on time. 


When it seems that evil has finally won the upper hand, I go back in time and sit for a few minutes with the women who found the tomb empty. Then I fast forward to the happy ending of Christ risen. The war is won. Until He returns we must continue with the small battles, the minor skirmishes with evil, that test our mettle, that keeps trying to distract us away from faith, when we must sit in the darkest dark and wait for dawn, not just believing, but confident it will come. 


Right on time.


For Him,

Meema

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful surprise to see Mother Eartha again!

    Thank you for this reminder - Father, Son and Spirit were, are, and will continue to be forever. We just need to not let go of that truth.

    Christ is risen indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Resurrection Day!

    ReplyDelete